Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mobile Megan and a Mother's Worst Nighmare


Megan is now a little over 7 months old and has become so much more mobile and in control of her body, although she is still working on all the particulars.
Well exactly a week ago today the most terrifying thing happened. We have a large tub sink in the kitchen which has been really nice for giving Megan a bath in. Even when she was too little to sit up there was plenty of room for her to lie down and since the only bath tub we have is downstairs, the sink is a lot more convenient. So last week I was giving her a bath in the morning, and I turned around for literally 1 second and took maybe 2 steps away, when I hear a "slip" only to turn around to see my baby fall head first from the sink to the hard tile floor!!!! Ahhh! She was just outside my reach and it was as if in slow motion. There was nothing I could do, but I picked her up quickly and ran for the phone. She, of course was hysterical and I was shaking so hard I didn't know what to do. What if she had a broken neck? Don't they say that when most people break their necks they don't even know it until later because the bodies adrenaline kicks in and they don't feel the pain? I don't know. What if there's internal bleeding? I was so terrified that I had just killed my baby. So I immediately called 911 (my second time in a year, thanks Em!). To some this may sound paranoid, but I just didn't want to "wait and see" on a head injury. While I was waiting with the person on the phone (they make you stay on the line until the people get there) I was able to give Megan a few emergency homeopathy's (my natural health training kicking in) and they were there in minutes. They came right in and took a look at her and reassured me that my baby was very lucky and just fine. Her head was a little red where she hit it, but other than seeming a little shaken up and tired from the experience she was perfectly alert and her eyes looked just fine and she had no visible cuts. They left a few short minutes after they came, reassuring me that if there was any hint of a problem they'd take her, but they were sure she was fine.
Just a month ago my grandma was telling me a story about how my mom had flipped herself out of her car seat that was sitting on the counter onto the floor at 1 month and how she was just sure she had killed her baby. That story kept replaying in my mind thinking how horrible that would be if that happened to me, and here it did. Oh, I felt so horrible. I cried and felt so guilty for letting something like this happen. And then I had to keep replaying the horrible event for all my wonderful, caring neighbors who were calling to make sure we were okay after they saw the EMT outside. It was probably the lowest moment I have had as a mother. I am so grateful that my baby was watched over that day. She never even got a bump on her head! She been a lot more cautious with all her new found mobility, but she's here, happy, and healthy, and I couldn't ask for more. We truly are so blessed.

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh Stef---I totally know how you feel! It is the most panicked feeling ever! When Owen was about 1 he fell head first off the kitchen bar, and since then there has been lots of falls where I just think it's a miracle they survive! I’ve learned that children are a lot more resilient than we think---thank goodness! I'm so glad Megan is okay!

melis & aaron said...

oh my goodness! how scary! as I was reading I put my hand to my mouth! I am so sorry that happened!
I would have totally called 911 like you did too! (sorry that em was your first call!) :)
I am so glad she is okay!!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Sooooo scary! I hate all the bumps and falls, but this one seems really scary, since it was on hard tile floor! I am so sorry! I am glad to hear that she is doing alright.

Kelsi said...

Oh my gosh!! The same thing happened to Jack when he was about 5 months old. But the worst part was that my mom was watching him and he flipped out of his car seat off of her kitchen table onto the hard floor. She rushed him to the doctors office in tears! He was perfectly fine but she has never been the same and she is so cautious now! They really are so durable and I am so glad that Megan is fine!

Sarah C. said...

Man stef! I hate it when scary stuff like that happens! A few months ago I wasn't watching Blake for a second and he jumped out of his high chair! I felt so awful as a mother. I'm with you though-- these babies are ALWAYS being protected by something more.

Lyssa Beth said...

wow you are truly brave! First of all, how scary was having your baby fall off the counter?! I have nightmares about that! And second, calling 911 is scary in itself. You seems you have a clear mind under difficult situations which is really good :) Don't beat yourself up on this! You are a great mom I bet. Things like this happen to mom's all over the world. THank goodness babies are so tough and durable! I think HEavenly Father made them that way, as a test run for us! But babies are surprising and sneaky aren't they? Well she's a absolute cute and glad that all came out fine!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear Megan is doing fine. I felt sick to my stomach just reading your blog. That is the absolute worst feeling. So glad she is ok though. Great to see you guys for Christmas too. Maddy is already looking forward to seeing baby Megan again. We love you guys.

John & Stephanie said...

Don't think of yourself as an aweful Mother, think of yourself as making Megan tougher... ;)

Glad that everyone is O.K. (especially Mom)- It was so good to see you all at Christmas...

Jill said...

You reacted really well in a such a scary situation. And I'm so glad that Megan is okay!