Sunday, July 15, 2007

The First 6 Weeks

Saturday Megan turned 6 weeks old! Yeah! I see light at the end of the tunnel. Let me explain. For the last 6 weeks we've been dealing with a bit of colic and have spent days, and sleepless nights, bouncing, rocking, excessivly feeding, pretty much anything to stop the fussing and crying. The poor little girl has had the worst stomache pains and it's so sad to see her in pain and harder still because I've been so sleep deprived. I never knew my whole existence could be centered around trying to get some more sleep!
Anyway, from everything I've heard and read, 6 weeks is a landmark. "They" say that after 6 weeks of age the fussiness and crying starts to decrease, maybe even a little, but that from here on out it is only going to get better. So in essense, we've been through the worst of it. So here's hoping that "they" are right!

In the mean time here are our 6 Favoritive Things at 6 Weeks (in no particular order):
  1. The changing table pad: strange as it sounds she loves being on the changing table pad. Somehow it must lay her in just the right position to relieve some pain and she really seems to like it. I sometimes just put the pad on the kitchen counter and it keeps her happy-- at least for a little while.
  2. The pacifier: Oh wow, this has been a life saver for me and my body! More often than not the thing she want to do is nurse, not for food, but for comfort. For a while there I was trying to keep pace because I thought that possibly I wasn't making enough milk for her, but I've found she just likes to suck-- a lot. So, with the introduction of the pacifier I've had a little reprieve from the endless hours of nursing!
  3. The Baby Bjorn: If you saw me in my house you'd think I was gearing up for a hike, but I'm actually just trying to do laundry, dishes or maybe sneak in a second on the eliptical! Megan loves to be held in this thing. She can cry and cry in your arms, but for some reason this carrier holds her tummy in just the right position and she loves it! She falls alseep most times I put her in it, but as soon as I take her out and lay her down she's up and crying within 5 minutes. So I am usually carring around a sleeping baby. It's killer on my back, but it's been that or my sanity. I choose the Baby Bjorn!
  4. The white noise machine: We realized there was a problem when the only thing that quieted the cries was either the sound of the blow dryer or the vacuum. Unfortunately, we can't keep either of these things running all night long. Fortunately, there is this little thing called the Sound Mate, and it has saved us all. She sleeps better and sounder because noises that used to wake her get drowned out. It's been a wonderful addition to the family!
  5. The rocker and ottoman: I've spent many a night rocking, rocking, rocking on this thing. It's so comfy and I'm so grateful to have it.
  6. The Boppy: I don't even know that I can nurse without it! It's a wonderful invention and has made life so much simpler! It's a great pillow, what more can I say!

Now let me say, though, that the last 6 weeks have not been all bad. She does respond and smile at times. It's also fun to have her just look into my eyes and recognize her mommy! I never knew I could love someone so much as I love my little girl. She is so sweet, her little tummy just hurts so much. But things are already getting better and she's sleeping longer and better already!

4 comments:

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Megan is a doll...okay, so I'm the worst ever! I haven't even met your cute little one. I need to get my rear over there and see you guys! I'm glad you found our blog so we cn keep in better touch! Love you!

Jared and Leslie said...

Hello! Oh my goodness your little angel is so beautiful! Can you believe it she is here :) Congratulations you two! (and Megan) What a beautiful family!
I am so happy that you posted on our blog! Stef I am 8 months pregnant! Just a few more weeks to go and we'll have our little boy! lets keep in touc!h!
luv,
Leslie

Jill said...

Hey Stefanie! It's good to hear from you. It's so fun having these blogs and being able to keep in touch. Megan is so adorable - congratulations and good luck with everything!

Sarah said...

Stefanie - i am so glad you found me. I have wondered how you were doing. Hard to believe you have a little girl. She is so cute! Congratulations. Good luck with the colic.